Monday, April 18, 2011

"Mommy, you have a big mouth."

"Thanks, sweetheart."

My wonderful three year old daughter said this to me this morning. Hmmm....how do you react to that?!

One thing I remember distinctly from childhood, was the Halloween that I said, "Dad, you're a smart alec." I got a spanking. (this was obviously some time ago when discipline was at the discretion of the parent and not the state.)

I will never forget that day. I was four and I meant it as a compliment. I really thought that I was telling my dad, in an important way, how smart he was.

I promised myself at a very young age that I would give my kids the benefit of the doubt (well, not in those words)...basically, I would believe my kids. I told my dad that day that I didn't know what it meant...spanking anyway.

Parents are given 1,000 battles a day. Choose them wisely. Listen. Try to understand where your kids are coming from.

I know that Emma did not mean what she said in a negative way.

And quite, frankly, yep, I have a big mouth. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment